Friday, June 19, 2015



iCommit

This past weekend was phenomenal for me.  Notre Dame thoroughly beat Michigan 31-0 in football.  Who could ask for anything more from a weekend?!?

I got more, though, and it is leading to a new pin on my suit blazer.  It is a Cross of Fellowship, which I picked up while at a Voice of the Martyrs iCommit conference Saturday in Bettendorf.  This pin is designed to be a reminder to pray for those around the world who suffer from persecution.  We heard several stories of persecution on Saturday.  We heard from individuals such as Xianzhi “Sarah” Liu, who was tortured and imprisoned for six years in China as an editor for an underground Christian newspaper.  We heard the story of Martin & Gracia Burnham, who were kidnapped in the Philippines by the terror group Abu Sayyaf and held hostage for over a year before Martin was killed during a fight that brought Gracia freedom.  We heard about Nigerian churches attacked and thousands killed.  We heard about the 100,000 Christians forced to flee towns in northern Iraq last month by ISIS. 

We heard from several others as well, and the day reminded me of several things.  First, we live in a world where sin and violence occur.  There is oppression and difficulties that go well beyond anything I have ever experienced.  This leads to a second thought, which is that I spend way too much time dwelling on my personal struggles, which are awful small when taken in the perspective of the difficulties faced by those around the world.  Third, I need to give more attention to knowing what is going on in the world around me, and giving time to thinking and praying for those around me who suffer.  Fourth, I was shown a model of forgiveness that I know I come way short of on a daily basis.  I heard multiple people talk about the pain they and their families endured for their beliefs, and the forgiveness they bestowed on the people who tortured them.  They demonstrated an understanding that we all are imperfect, and all have a need for a change of hearts.  I have a need to show that kind of soft-heartedness to those who make my life difficult.

So I will wear this new pin on my suit blazer.  I pray that it will be a reminder to me of the sacrifices others have to endure around the world.  I pray it will also be a reminder of my need to have a tender heart to those I come into contact with on a daily basis.  I invite you to commit with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment